About This Blog

This blog is published as an offering of topics that may be of interest to Ridgefield residents in the hope that it will spark some dialog about important issues that face us as a community.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why vote for an unaffiliated candidate?

Who am I, what do I stand for, why am I campaigning for a seat on the Board of Selectmen?

I’m a retired, middle class married guy living on a fixed income, financially squeezed like many of you.

Philosophically, I’m for transparency in government, full disclosure and working more closely with Ridgefielders.

Fiscally, I’m careful. I want to understand the reasons for spending and exactly how that spending will benefit the taxpayer. I believe more revenue streams must be developed to reduce the tax burden.

People move here not only for our excellent schools, but because both housing and taxes are lower by comparison to other Fairfield towns in our category. If that formula changes, Ridgefield’s charm will change. I am not in favor of that.

I love new ideas. I like to converse with people. I admire thoughtful individuals with common sense.

I am not politically driven, which is why I made a conscious decision to run as an unaffiliated candidate.

Demagoguery, dogma and political gamesmanship don’t belong in Ridgefield.

Someone willing to volunteer their time for the community, running for a seat on the Board of Selectmen as I am, should understand the town’s major issues. I attended almost all board meetings for the past four years and I can say that I am knowledgeable about those issues.

If I am elected, I may not always get it right, but I’m sure going to do my best to balance the interests of everyone in the entire community.

No comments:

Post a Comment